There are 10 types of people in the world, Those who understand binary, and
those who dont.
DataWorkshop is an editor to view and modify binary data. The editor provides different views
which can be used to edit, analyze and export the binary data.
A simple hex view can be used to simulate a standard hexeditor but more complex dynamic
views are possible to comfortable edit binary structure like executables or captured network traffic.
The editor provides powerful search and diff functionality and user defined transformations to
modify the binary data.
Views can be filtered using the XPath query language (e.g. selecting several IP packets in a network traffic capture file)
Views can be exported as in various formats for further processing. This can be used to convert
old binary formats into modern xml tagged data.
- Mulitplatform (Windows, Linux, MacOS)
- User defined view definitions which are compiled into complex data views
- Data view can can be exported as xml
- Data view can be queried using XPath syntax to generate a new data view (e.g. selecting several IP packages according to their flags)
- Configurable data encodings used to edit and view data (e.g Hex, Decimal, IEEE 754 Reals, USAscii, EBCDIC, TimeInMillis etc.)
- Configurable data transformation (e.g. Rot13 Encoder / Decoder)
- Diff tool with bit granularity
- Find and replace with bit granularity
- Data clipboard for cut, copy and paste
- XML based storage for persistent data
- Data conversion between different formats (e.g little endian <-> big endian, hexdump <-> binary data)
- Read and write from sockets
Minimum Hardware & Software Requirements
- Java 1.4
- 1.0 Ghz Processor with 256MB Ram
Known Bugs And Limitations
- too slow when editing large files (> 100MB) or using complex views
- Maximal data size 2 147 483 647 bytes (~ 2 GB)
This software is being distributed as Freeware. It may be freely used,
copied and distributed as long as it is not sold, and all original files
are included, including this license. By using this software, you agree
to these terms and the terms of the Disclaimer below:
This software is provided "as is" and any expressed or implied warranties,
including, but not limited
to, the implied warranties of merchantibility and fitness for a particular
purpose are disclaimed.
In no event shall the author be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental,
special, exemplary, or
consequential damages (including, but not limited to, procurement of
substitute goods or services;
loss of use, data, or profits; or business interruption) however caused and on
any theory of
liability, whether in contract, strict liability, or tort (including
negligence or otherwise)
arising in any way out of the use of this software, even if advised of the
possibility of such damage.